Saturday, August 11, 2012

"But I don't WANNA go to bed!" - Lily

As I was lying in bed last night, still awake at 1am, I thought to myself "I should really write a blog post about Lily's sleep adventures..." When I woke up this morning I got on Blogger and saw that one of my friends had the exact same idea last night, and wrote a post about her little boy's "sleep woes." So apparently Lily isn't alone in this don't-want-to-sleep business.

We went from Lily going to bed easily and sleeping for two 4-hour blocks, to her not being able to fall asleep until 2 or 3am and then sleeping for 5 or 6 hours.  Although it's nice to have her sleep at longer increments, it's been very difficult to get to bed so late every night. Over the last 2 weeks we've tried quite a few things to help her sleep, with little to no success.

Here's the problem- well, two problems-
1- It takes her hours to fall asleep EVERY night, and is difficult to get her down for most of her naps.
2- She continually wakes her self up once asleep.

Todd and I knew we had a fun, spunky little baby...but we had no idea that could translate into fighting sleep. Here's what we've tried so far to help her:

- the 5 S's: Swaddle, lay on Side or tummy, Sway, Shhhing sounds, and Sucking (taught in "Happiest Baby on the Block"). I highly recommend this book, as doing these things together definitely helps her calm down. They just don't help her stay asleep.
- Tummy sleeping. We learned how to swaddle her so she could sleep on her stomach, and it does seem to help. She can keep her pacifier in better, and we think it helps with her tummy bubbles too.
- White noise. She has a little white noise teddy bear that we've been using, and it helps soothe her to a degree, but isn't quite enough. We've tried the other white noise extreme - the blow dryer. I experimented with it last week and put it by her swing while she fought a nap, and it worked! Well, it hasn't worked since then. It calms her down, but doesn't help her fall asleep.
- Hyland's brand Colic tablets. These homeopathic tablets help calm her stomach and mellow her out, but the effect only lasts a few minutes.
- Gas drops. We've been giving her continual doses throughout the day, which definitely has been helping her gas problems. However, they aren't making much of a difference in allowing her to sleep better at night.
- Walking, rocking, and bouncing. Todd and I will spend an hour or two just walking around with her. This will always get her to fall asleep, but a few minutes later her eyes pop back open.
- Swings. We have two electronic swings, one with a vibrate setting and one without. These worked miracles the first few weeks and would put her to sleep instantly. Not any more! Plus, we don't want her sleeping in a swing every night.

Our little girl just thinks there are much more interesting things to do than fall asleep! Her mind has a hard time shutting off enough to allow a good, deep sleep.

Any suggestions on what to do when:
1. She fights falling asleep, and
2. She can't stay asleep?

We want her to have healthy sleep habits, not only for our sakes, but for hers! If all else fails, we will just keep working with her and being patient. She is only 6 weeks old, and may grow out of it soon.

Thanks for listening to a whiney new mother :)

4 comments:

  1. It seriously is so nice to know that we're not alone in this.. I wish I had some advice for you but unfortunately we're struggling right along with you. All I can do is hope this doesn't last forever! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt when I read your post this morning! We'll all get though it eventually, I guess :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry. Does she escape your swaddle? We used SwaddleMe wraps and that kept it more secure so our boys would sleep, it also leaves a little pressure so it is similar to you holding them. Also, have you had your dr check her ears? What you described above is how my littlest acts when he has an ear infection. Another thing, which stinks because nursing is best, but maybe try doing a feeding with a bottle. My oldest had tummy issues that were soothed a lot by just giving him a bottle instead of the breast. Maybe you could try one feeding like that before bed and have Todd help out. I am no expert and am just sharing from my own personal experience. My first had similar troubles with his stomach so I have tips for what worked for him, but he was a pretty great sleeper. My second didn't have as many tummy issues, but he had trouble sleeping. Sometimes a bottle really can help with colic though. I've seen good results from an occasional feeding with my littlest (and only breastfed) baby. I'm sorry. Hopefully it will get better. Colic is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh.. I should have said that a bottle of breastmilk is best.. I'm not trying to say you should do formula. But sometimes getting the good stuff from something with a little help to eliminate the bubbles can soothe them a lot. Or formula is good too (not to say it is bad either).. whatever is best for you and your situation.

    ReplyDelete